Are you English-speaking and new to the area?
Do you speak English and simply haven’t heard of us?
In either case, join us at one of our monthly meetings or other activities, enjoy our friendly atmosphere and speak some English while making new acquaintances.
Our goals are to:
encourage interest in Franconian history and culture
promote understanding between the German community and English-speaking residents and guests in Franconia. To this end we organize lectures and tours as well as numerous other activities
give support to those new to the area
- 28th Mar
- "Alt werden ist nichts für Feiglinge": Visit to the Fraunhofer Institut in Tennenlohe (Wolfsmantel 33, 91058 Erlangen) from 3 to 5pm. Please contact Ingeborg Lötterle if you would like to join us (09131-33611 or email@example.com). Bus 295 stops outside (Frauenweiherstr.). Full details can be found in the FS Newsletter.
- 02th Apr
- Erlanger Frühling. The Franconian Society will have a stand at this event taking place at the Neustädter Kirchenplatz. For further details, please contact our Vice-President, Bridget Ineichen (09131-25529 or by mail at firstname.lastname@example.org)
- 07th Apr
- Stammtisch at the Turnerbund 6:30 p.m. The Pub Quiz with Yvonne Damaske begins at 8:15pm.
- 09th Apr
- Tour of Nuremberg Zoo with an English-speaking guide. Maximum size of our group is 25, so please register early with Frank Gillard (email@example.com). The two-hour tour begins at 2pm and will cost, depending on how many register, about 15 euros (or less). Travel arrangements are an individual affair but advice can be given nearer the date.
- 21th Apr
- Our Annual General Meeting at the Turnerbund starts at 6.00 pm.
- 23th Apr
- HAPPY HIKING BOOTS (Bring binoculars, if possible) Sunday, 23rd April, meeting point is Turnerbund, Spardorfer Str. 79 at 9:30am. We'll leave cars at Mohrhof and walk past the Nature Reserve to Poppenwind, before returning to Hesselberg for lunch at 1pm. Afterwards we'll drive to Neuhaus for a walk around the Schloss. After coffee and cake, we'll leave for Erlangen around 4pm. This is a very flat walk!
- 01th May
- Rädli - a bicycle rally in Erlangen: information stand at Turnerbund (contact Sangeeta for more information)
- 05th May
- Our Stammtisch at the Turnerbund Sports Club begins at 6.00 p.m. The program - “St. Petersburg - a historical, cultural and tourist view” with Sieghard Hellmann - commences at 8:15 p.m.
- 20th May
- Dinner Club: Hexenhäusle, Vestnertorgraben 4, 90408 Nürnberg At 6.15pm there will be a short tour of the Vestnertor area (a main entrance to the castle) followed by dinner at 7pm.
- 27th May
- Trip to Ingolstadt being planned - visit to the Medical History Museum and a guided tour of the city.
- 02th Jun
- Our Stammtisch at the Turnerbund. Programme to be announced.
- 10th Jun
- Our traditional gathering at the Erlangen Bergkirchweih begins at 11.45am at Fleischmanns Garten. Please come and bring friends.
- 07th Jul
- Ärzte ohne Grenzen - information to come
- 22th Jul
- Dinner Club: Die Fischerei Jazz Festival, at 7pm. Am Deckersweiher 24, 91056 Erlangen, Kosbach. Contact Teresa for more information.
- 29th Jul
- Day trip to Coburg (details in the next Newsletter)
- 19th Aug
- Dinner Club: Restaurant Prison St. Michel (French), Irrerstr. 2, 90403 Nuremberg. Please register with Teresa Mills.
- 01th Sep
- Stammtisch: Details to follow...
- 06th Oct
- Stammtisch: Talk on Luther by Frank Gillard.
- 14th Oct
- Two-day excursion to Thuringia (Luther Year 2017) 14.10. – 15-10.2017 Saturday 14th October Leave Erlangen at 8am from the Turnerbund (Spardorfer Str.79) Lunch in Schmalkalden After lunch in the Ratskeller, we will have a 90-minute guided tour through Schmalkalden (English-speaking and German-speaking guides) Afterwards we continue to Eisenach. Our hotel is the 4-star Schloßhotel (the excursion price includes a 3-course dinner in the hotel’s vaulted cellar restaurant) Sunday 15th October After breakfast a 90-120-minute tour of the Wartburg with English/German audioguides and tour of the museum http://www.wartburg.de/de/ Lunch in the Wartburg restaurant After lunch a 75-minute guided tour of the Bach museum in Eisenach (two groups, one with an English-speaking guide, the other with a German-speaking guide) Arrival back in Erlangen at approximately 10 pm The price of this excursion depends on the numbers coming. From 35 persons €210,- p.P. in a double room (including evening meal!) From 30 persons €225,- p.P. in a double room (including evening meal!) A single room will cost €17,- extra (including evening meal!) (35 = €227 30 = €237) The total price (see above) covers: a) our bus (provided by Schmetterling Reisen) b) guided tours in Schmalkalden and Eisenach (Wartburg and Bach Haus) c) Eisenach city tourist charge (€2.- p.P.) d) travel insurance e) tips for bus driver and various guides
- 03th Nov
- Stammtisch: Talk on Franconian Dialect and Culture by Dr. Haberkamm